Saturday 3 March 2012

Masculine birthday card with 'Nature Walk'

I made this vintagey-looking card for my dad for his birthday last year, and had thought I'd posted about it already, but no?
It uses the beautiful "Nature Walk" stamp set, which has a great selection of images for layering and collage work, although I think it is versatile enough to make a clean and simple style card as well.  It's priced from $41.95 in clear (121997) or $51.95 in woodmount (123559) for a set of 7 stamps, which I think is pretty good value.
OK - card layers"
The base is Crumb Cake, stamped with Woodgrain background, $33.95 (121588)
Next layer is First Edition Specialty Designer series paper $24.95 for 24 double sided sheets  - extra big pack, slightly lighter weigh paper (121878)
Next layer is crumpled Early Espresso cardstock, sprayed with Shimmer Paint DIY glimmer spray in Champagne mist.  You can visit the tutorial on making the spray here, the paint is $11.50 (116806)
Next layer - must have been channelling the amazing Teneale Williams here) - um, where are we up to? Old Olive!
Image layer - Confetti Cream - I love this cardstock ($17.25 for 40 sheets, 106558) because of it's heavy weight, antique style fleck, and handmade paper surface.  It suits watercolouring and vintage style very well.

I've used every stamp in the set, along with the small script background  and water splash from French Foliage, (a set that co-ordinates perfectly with Nature Walk - $39.95 in wood, 123557).  Colours used included several browns, olive, mustard, and a touch of Cajun Craze for a bit of autumnal brightness.  The birdy is stamped twice, once onto the base layer and again onto a scrap, where I could cut him out and pop him up on Stampin' Dimensionals.  I did the same with the little bee behind the Bevelled Window Pane ($16.95 for 12 assorted sizes, 121881), and I've attached that with Old Olive narrow taffeta ribbon and some linen thread.  Before attaching birdy layer #2, I sponged the area around him with some Early Espresso ink, to make him pop even more.

What do you think?  Really, really going to work on that assignment now...

No comments: