Sunday 22 January 2012

Hand made gifts for some very special teachers

 My kids had some very special teachers last year, so I wanted to make some special gifts to thank them for their hard work.  Mr 10's teacher was able to appreciate his quirky character, like his useful ability to remember collecting notes and classroom organisational type stuff, while conveniently forgetting things like how to spell and times tables.  So, together we made Mr M a noticeboard to keep track of paperwork!  I built a deep rebate frame with some chunky moulding.  The insert is a piece of "Wonderwall" noticeboard stuff I chanced across at Spotlight one day, it is like the wall panel stuff that velcro sticks to, but with a thick EVA foam backing attached so it can be used with pins as well.  We used a papier-mache type technique to cover the frame with the school colours, using little bits and bobs of all kinds of patterned paper, some from my stash and some from now retired DSP prints packs.  The ribbons are Purely Pomegranate and Blue Bayou Stitched Grosgrain from in colors a couple of  years ago, and they are attached on with Build-a-brads and Corduroy brads.  I gave the frame a good coat of glue varnish to make it nice and durable.  I hope he finds it a useful tool, and remind him of one of his more challenging students!


 Miss 6 had a pair of teachers last year, in a 3/2 jobshare.  Mrs W was lovely, and I only found out that she is actually the sister of one of my lovely customers when I gave her this crafty gift - a very small world it is indeed!
I made a covered clipboard with some interesting adhesive fabric paper, and a wide variety of ribbons to match the colours.  The fabric paper isn't SU, but the colours were so perfect for Pool Party, So Saffron, Calypso Coral, Regal Rose and Chocolate Chip  The tin to match has a Calypso Coral and So Saffron ruffled flower on the top, and contained a stash of erasers, merit stickers, and some owl santa chocs.

Mr Mc was quite charmed by Miss 6 I think, and she had a ball in his class.  As Mr Mc moves about the school in his dual role as Deputy Principal, I thought he might find it useful to have a tote tray for some of his most needed supplies.  It's an MDF caddy, covered with some DSP in newsprinty style papers, and some lettering and a crown cut from some offcuts of black core gold matboard.  Mr Mc uses a crown avatar for the class blog, and is definitely king of his little charges, so that explains the decoration!  I sponged gold shimmer paint all around the seams, and added some erasers, merit stickers and Santa Owl chocs.

I had lots of fun making these, and the thinking cap is on again already for this year!  I'd love to read your comments and ideas for teacher gifts - always helps to start early with inspiration!

No comments: