Sunday 29 January 2012

Flirtatious fabric-covered Journal with Fabric Flowers

I made this for a special relative, to record some important stuff as she goes through her cancer treatment.  I've made it pretty and girly, although it is a very plain and practical blank page journal on the inside.  It's so hard to think of what to give in these situations, but I think if it were me, a special place to record everything from diary entries to family recipes to hopes and dreams for the future would be useful.

I started with a hard-bound plain journal, and painted the spine bindings to make sure their black colour wouldn't show through.  I then added some Pellon padding to the front and back covers.  I removed the whole inner page section, so I could fully cover the bindings.  I used the purple Flirtatious fabric and Sticky Strip (super strong!) adhesive to attach the fabric around the bindings.  I used the wonderful iron-on fabric adhesive to back the dark pink fabric, and used this to line the end papers. Hot glue came in handy for re-attaching the pages inside, and I then ironed on the fabric endpapers to hold it all in place. 

Some Wisteria Wonder ruffled ribbon went around the outside to hold loose papers, and from the centre to make a page marker, embellished with some retired "Pretties Kit" beads and pearls.  I then cut several sizes and colours of flowers using the "Fun Flowers" Bigshot die, from the three Flirtatious fabrics.  But, to make it fast and easy, I used the iron-on fabric adhesive before I cut them, so they could be ironed straight onto the cover.  I made a little fabric 'yoyo' from a circle of wisteria fabric and added a button centre.  A monogram "A" finishes  it off.  It took a little while, but the result was worth it, I think. 

No comments: