Monday 6 April 2009

Fresh Cuts and Emboss Resist




These two cards were CASED from a gorgeous card I saw in the November/December issue of Papercrafts magazine (a US publication) It was created by Alison Manning, and was a winner in the Heat Embossing section of their "Stamping Royalty" awards. I had to make minor changes because we don't have coloured pigment ink here, and I changed a layer from torn to using the scallop edge punch. When I saw it, I knew I had to recreate it for myself! I have made it in two versions, one portrait and one landscape. There would be lots of other colour combinations that would work nicely, and I'll give some soft pretty colours a go next time. This is an earthy masculine colour scheme, and would make a great card for a bloke!


The base is Chocolate Chip, stamped with En Francais in Chocolate Chip ink. Next there is a layer of Confetti Cream, with distressed and inked edges. Over this is a layer of Old Olive with a scalloped edge. The panel is Glossy White cardstock, and I used Basic Brown ink to stamp the square block. I quickly added clear embossing powder, and heat embossed to give the raised glossy look. I had tried with Chocolate Chip dye ink, but it dries too fast to get a good coating of powder. I might try next time the technique of combining Versamark and dye ink and embossing that.
I then used sponges to add a mix of Old Olive, Kiwi Kiss, Really Rust and Close to Cocoa ink over the background. I matted this layer on Naturals Ivory with more distressed edges, and then on Chocolate Chip.
One card has an oval bookplate from the sadly retired Antique Copper Hodgepodge and the other uses a picture hanger tied with narrow grosgrain snips. The 'for you' is also from the Fresh Cuts set, and 'thinking of you' is from the Three Little Words set, also new to the catalogue this year.

I hope you like them! This set is probably my favourite from the new catalogue and I look forward to playing with it and the co-ordinating Fresh Cut Notes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle, you did a great job with these cards - I love the changes you made! Thanks for the mention - that made my day! I've bookmarked you too and will swing by again soon. Have a good one, Ali

Carolyn Gibbs said...

YAY! Now I can CASE this one! Its soooooooo gorgeous, and I spent quite a bit of time stroking the embossing on Saturday (SHHH!) night.