Thursday 29 January 2009

Birds and Cats




Don't necessarily go together, but they do here! I was playing with the big lens on my new camera (55-250mm) and seeing how close I could get to our cats, Monte and Fudge, both Burmese. They both make all the right noises when it comes to birds, but won't move a paw to even scare them away, even the pesky feral Indian Mynas that eat the strawberries from right under their feline noses. So, given that fact, I think the other bird in this post is entirely safe! I love how glossy their fur on their faces is, and how regal they look, love my furbabies! They are both getting on a little in years, Monte is now a sprightly 11, and Fudge is 9. However, since Burmese often live for 18 years or more, the birds around our house can look forward to many more years of twitching tails and chattering yowls in complete safety LOL!

Sorry, but I've used the "Always" set again, from the Spring Mini last year. Perhaps it is wishful thinking that the more I continue to use it, the more likely it will grace the pages of the 2009-10 Idea Book and Catalogue?? Or, that since so many of you bought it already, maybe I can just convince myself I'm providing useful inspiration??

Whatever the excuse, here it is. I started with a Rose Red base and stamped the berry branch stamp along the bottom edge. I then made 2 scallop edges from Confetti White cardstock strips to back a piece of Summer Picnic Designer Series Paper, sponged with Rose Red and Groovy Guava inks.

I used Groovy Guava to ink up the bird stamp, and then "Rock n roll"ed the edges in Rose Red, also adding a few Rose Red highlights with my marker to highlight the flower design. Birdy was trimmed out, and popped up with Dimensionals on the patterned paper strip. The sentiment scallop circle is stamped off first with Groovy Guava ink onto Confetti White, then the Always circle a was added using my SAMJ. I punched the circle with my 1 1/4" punch, and added a 1 3/8" Groovy Guava circle before layering again onto the scallop circle, more foam Dimensionals there too. Oh, and behind that I added a strip of Pumpkin Pie grosgrain ribbon. I thought I'd make this a Valentine's card for my orange mad and bird-loving son :) Hope you like it!

2 comments:

Ramona Michaluk said...

Love your photos of your cats Michelle - they're both gorgeous!
I know what you mean about the feel of their fur - I have a black oriental cross and he is all black, very sleek and his fur is like velvet. Pity his voice isn't the same - he's very vocal as oriental cats always are!
We have the most interesting conversations, he and I!

Michelle said...

LOL! Monte is very vocal, you can talk to her and get the most interesting replies! Fudge is much quieter, but if something upsets her you'll know about it, she has a very high pitched yowl! Thanks for visiting my blog Ramona!